New userlist: To @name, or not to @name?

The new user list is well underway for our new chat redesign (coming soon). The main debate is whether or not the @names should appear. Obviously "nicknames" will always appear.

I am in favor of it, as many aspects of Minnit rely solely on the @names (like your ranks list, "edit friends" menu, mentioning, user lookup). I believe @names are a key aspect to Minnit, and should be prominently displayed so users know who is who, not just in the chat, but when using other menus and services.

Other users believe this setup looks too "busy" or cluttered. I have attached an image of what I believe it should look like. The proposal would be to move the nickname further down below. As the avatars won't be re-sized, this would offer no additional space for more users to be displayed, it would just look different.

Please post your pros/cons below.

brk

0_1517859839771_ycgfhDd.png

Personally, I like the look of including users, and I don't think it looks too busy, although I do see how it could be redundant for many users. Without the usernames displayed, users would have to click each other before viewing usernames, which would slow down the ability to quickly mention each other directly.

I think the design looks too cluttered if @usernames are displayed constantly, but the benefit of being able to mention someone easily because it's always being there can't be ignored.

It could look a bit better if there was a little more space between the name and the @username and the font color of the @username was different (maybe more grey to distinguish that it's a username?)

Thanks you two.

Now I have another proposal. It still fits in with the "@name or not to @name" theme of this topic, but in a different way.

Pros for the left:

• Looks cooler
  • Less symbols

Cons:

• Might make it harder to know you can tag using @
  • Might confuse people who don't know which is which

0_1517862376296_atnames2.png

I like the look of the left a lot more

People the use @ symbol on other services to mention users, but not all of them show it. Twitter is probably the biggest one where @ is always shown.

It could go either way really, but I like the left more

@brk said in New userlist: To @name, or not to @name?:

Thanks you two.

Now I have another proposal. It still fits in with the "@name or not to @name" theme of this topic, but in a different way.

Pros for the left:

• Looks cooler
  • Less symbols

Cons:

• Might make it harder to know you can tag using @
  • Might confuse people who don't know which is which

0_1517862376296_atnames2.png

I personally prefer the right. Without the @ handle, it just looks like the name is being duplicated for users who use their username as their nickname. Also, it can be confusing to some users who aren't sure which is which, as mentioned.

@brk said in New userlist: To @name, or not to @name?:

Other users believe this setup looks too "busy" or cluttered. I have attached an image of what I believe it should look like. The proposal would be to move the nickname further down below. As the avatars won't be re-sized, this would offer no additional space for more users to be displayed, it would just look different.

I would have to agree with saying that it looks too cluttered. I believe that if a user would like to see what someone's username is, they can simply click on them. This frees up a lot of space that could either be left empty (looks cleaner), or for more content to be added in the future (personalized messages).

The reason that I believe the current way that @name is set up isn't cluttered/busy is because it's to the right of a user's display nick, leaving a decent bit of empty space. This, in my eyes, is a lot more pleasing to the eyes than having it right under the name.

Can we have a sample image where no usernames are displayed at all?

@angelo said in New userlist: To @name, or not to @name?:

Can we have a sample image where no usernames are displayed at all?

Here's how it would look

0_1517869857111_atname3.png

I like best to NOT show the @usernames, but set it as a alt-title so it pops up when you hold your mouse over it. Why not make it configurable in the parameters passed via the embed code?