Renaming "Admin"?

A lot of folks (especially foreign) are having a hard time telling that Admin goes below Owner. It was proposed to re-name it by many users, so I'm wanting to consolidate opinions & figure out the best solution.

I think "Manager" might work. Nobody would think a Manager is above an Owner, but Manager goes above Mod. Alternatively we could rename it to "Supermod" or something.

Let me know your thoughts.

Here's the hierarchy for those unaware:

1. Visitor
  2. Regular
  3. Moderator
  4. Admin
  5. Owner

I think Manager would work. I had some concerns that it might be confusing still, but you're right that no one would think a manager is above an owner.

Using super mod would be even more clear, although I think it'd be better to have a completely different name for it.

I personally don't like supermod, but manager is fine though. I can't think of anything else it could be called to be honest except for assistant or executive... those sound weird though.

OK I've been thinking on this for a bit & I have a few thoughts:

If we do go the route of "Manager" would that be out of place? Many forum softwares / chat sites have "Mods" and "Admins" already as standard. "Manager" might be confusing and not immediately clear to newcomers that "Manager is above Mod". They might think Mods handle the bans/kicks, and Managers handle something else. Am I being over-paranoid? Try to put yourself in the shoes of someone who's almost never used a chat before, what would your impression of "Mod/Manager/Owner" be?

Perhaps instead of re-naming Admin to Manager, it should be Owner that gets renamed to Superadmin?

1. Chat Owner (can be manager if you want, but I like the idea of having "chat" in front of it)
  2. Owner
  3. Moderator
  4. Regular
  5. Visitor

OR...

1. Chat Owner/Manager (swapping around admin)
  2. Admin
  3. Moderator
  4. Regular
  5. Visitor
  1. Chat Owner (can be manager if you want, but I like the idea of having "chat" in front of it)
  2. Owner
  3. Moderator
  4. Regular
  5. Visitor

Keep in mind the #1 rank (what is currently "owner") has full access to chat settings, and the ability to add/remove users from the #2 rank (what is currently "admin"). So your proposal of "Chat Owner" being above "Owner" would be very confusing, if the only difference is a "chat" prefix. If someone makes a ticket and says "How can I let someone who also owns the website have full control over the chat?", explaining that they need to make them a "Chat Owner" is very confusing if the user is already a regular owner.

I'm also not sure if Manager should be above Owner -- I can't think of any scenario, real-world or online, where Manager controls the Owner.

OR...

1. Chat Owner/Manager (swapping around admin)
  2. Admin
  3. Moderator
  4. Regular
  5. Visitor

Are you saying to leave it as is? The point is that several tickets have come in where users thought "Admin" would be the highest rank & give them total control over the chat. Other newcomers can't tell if the Owner is more powerful than Admin (they don't know that user list is sorted by rank).

This is why I love discussions like these. You'd think it'd be an easy fix to just come up with a different name, but there's a lot of thought process that has to go into it! ;‭)

@brk Hmm.. fair points I guess.

Maybe ranks should just be numbers. Easier than words, and numbers are the same in all languages. ;)

I think Manager or Leader would be fine.

@rida said in Renaming "Admin"?:

@brk Hmm.. fair points I guess.

Maybe ranks should just be numbers. Easier than words, and numbers are the same in all languages. ;)

No I'm not going to make them numbers. Saying "Rank#3 and higher can ban" is just confusing, whereas "Moderators and higher can ban" makes sense.

@lemona said in Renaming "Admin"?:

I think Manager or Leader would be fine.

Leaders are born, not promoted. ;)

Is anyone straight up opposed to "Manager" given the points made in the thread thus far?

Personally I like Manager, I think it's clear that it's below Owner and decently clear that it's above Moderator.

Alright, Manager it is. Spell & I are working on a few major changes to the chat, so the change will go live at the same time as those.

I understand if some folks are "meh" about the change -- I am too! I really like the Mod/Admin/Owner naming scheme, but unfortunately it's clear that that's just not working. And making Minnit easier & better always takes priority over my own personal preference, so anyone who is, or will be, unhappy with the change, please know that there was a reason behind it.

Anyway, thank you everybody for your input. :‪)